Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Lucky Spot

I am sitting in the luckiest spot in the Sistine Chapel. Can I have a moment more perfect than this one? According to Gabrielle, this seat on the bench underneath Perugino's Giving of the Keys to St. Peter is the luckiest place for papal hopefuls to sit during conclaves. Pope Julius II was sitting here during the conclave when he was elected and ever since then, it is known as the "lucky spot." I don't have a desire to be the Pope one day (for obvious reasons), but it feels special and meaningful to be looking up at the Sistine chapel ceiling from this historically significant spot.

After looking at the incomparable paintings on the walls and the ceiling, of course, I'm thinking about what else I need to do here before my time is up. This may be the only time that I am ever in the Sistine chapel for more than a few minutes. I am certain that if I do come again, I will be pushed through the room quickly by a crowd of tourists, with barely a few minutes to glance at all the art. What can I do in this overwhelmingly beautiful room that was created for the Church? I take a few more minutes to look around and then I pray.

No comments: